Self Care

dsc01376

Currently, I am a full time student who is completing an internship, working a part time job and consistently completing homework. Therefore, I rarely have the opportunity to embrace self care skills. However, during the wilderness portion of the trip I was provided many opportunities to do some self reflection. During this time I chose to write and reflect upon what I am most thankful for.

Here is what I wrote…

I am thankful for my mother. She is and has always been the fresh air. Pure and Constant. She has given me my mind, hardworking hands, my bubbly spirit and strength.

I am thankful for my father. Though he is a wobbly rock I know in times of need I can stand and balance on his shoulders. He has given me my taste pallet, my sense of adventure and my goofy ways.

I am thankful for my sister. She’s similar to nature. Beautiful and full of wonder. She’s given me my keen since of direction, self determination and self motivation.

I am thankful for my grandmother. She is like the birds song. No matter how far away from home I wander I can always hear her sweet voice of encourage lulling me to push forward.           

I am thankful for my bestie Brittany. Similar to wild flowers. She provides me with sporadic bursts of laughter, comfort and joy.

dsc01391

Self reflection time allowed me to not only look closer at my life with peace and tranquility but also allowed me to be reminded of a time when I loved to write poetry. Moreover, I was given the ability to notice all the beauty of the wilderness in that moment of time. One thing I am taking back with me from the wilderness is that I need to allow myself time to self reflect. Along my educational journey I forgot how important self reflection is with regards to self care. Furthermore, I need to take time to be thankful for the many blessings (big and small) I have in my life.

dsc01299

One thought on “Self Care