Reflection

Now that I have had some time to reflect on the trip and have had some sleep, several things have come up for me in regards to the tip.  I feel very grateful to have the experience and feel I will be learning from it for quite some time.

One thing I am now reflecting on is the similarities between South Africa and the United States in regards to segregation.  Some cities are better than others in the states, but it is shocking how government did not even have to be as involved as apartheid was in order for different races to live separately.  I did my undergrad in Milwaukee which is one of the most segregated cities in the US.  The white people live in the pretty areas by the lake and near the city.  Blacks live on the north side and Hispanics on the south side.  This reflects a lot of what we saw in South Africa in terms of segregation.  Though the US government did play a part in racism, the official end of segregation happened over 50 years ago.  The effects of it is still seen today.  I wonder how long it will take in South Africa to no longer see the effects of apartheid.  Though this is daunting for me to think of the trip inspired me and humbled me as a social worker.