Experiencing Robben Island

It was a very packed first few days in Cape Town.

One thing that struck me is on our visit to Robben Island. I have read about Robben Island and seen it in films, but nothing prepared me for actually being there. It was probably one of the most amazing experiences on the tour of the prison and the island. The tour guides at Robben Island are former prisoners was imprisoned on the island. It was empowering to hear their stories and how they continued the struggle while in prison.

One thing that struck me is that I was one of the few people of color in the room and only Black American. I thought about how privileged I was to be there and how few people, let alone Black Americans are able to experience going to Robben Island. I also thought about how in many ways Black Lives Matter and what is happening in South Africa parallel, but many Black Americans do not realize what is happening outside of the US and how it parallels many experiences occurring in the US.

Robben Island was probably one of the most emotional experiences I have had and a great way to start of the trip in Cape Town.