Molly Blaine What’s next? For us? For Africa?

BLOG #6

What’s next? For us? For Africa?
The South African flag hung in the window of a home Photography Credit: Molly Blaine

The South African flag hung in the window of a home
Photography Credit: Molly Blaine

I sat with the question of what was next for me a great deal during my my time in Africa. It wasn’t until I was reminded by a classmate of something that the Dean had said at orientation that the picture of how I could ensure change from this trip lasted. The Dean spoke of if you are in a dark room with your client, instead of taking their hand and showing them the door give them a flashlight, the tools they need to do it on their own. We spoke in a reflection circle of the tools we acquire as social workers. For me South Africa is a tool in my box for me to constantly be reminded of the compassion, dedication and inspiring social workers I met during time in South Africa. I think South Africa gave me many to tools in addition to characteristics I hope to instill in my life. For instance I hope never to forget some of the issues and things I saw here. It is my hope that this will have made me think more globally about the issues of social justice and hopefully be able to create change on some scale globally.

One thought on “Molly Blaine What’s next? For us? For Africa?